Submitted: 06-09-2009 by paddler_fl

2 months ago I got the Cobra Eliminator, 17 feet by 22. I'm 5'11" and 210 pounds. So far it has been an exciting learning experience. I have been paddling for 3 years and experimented with different types of kayaks. Right now I own a Necky Eleho HV and the Cobra.

The first time I tried the Eliminator I was disappointed. I bought the kayak used, and I was thinking that I wasted the $650 I paid for it. But once you start learning to "ride" the Eliminator you don't want to paddle any other kayak. I have been practicing about 6 hours every weekend spending time mastering my bracing and stroke. A month ago I got a wing paddle that is helping me go even faster.

In the last 2 weeks, I got very comfortable paddling through rough waters (at the beginning I used to fall into the water once in a while). I usually go out in Miami's ocean inlets with a lot of boat traffic. In the canals the wake of the boats produce a wired effect in the water with waves coming from different directions (waves bouncing back from docks and other natural barriers); the Eliminator (or lets say me), is handling the waters pretty well in these sea conditions. I recommend this kayak for any body who wants to go SUPER FAST in the water, like to workout, is willing to learn new techniques and is not afraid to fall into the water once in a while.