Submitted: 06-05-2009 by sph

I bought my Wee Lassie last year, and used it extensively to flyfish for bluegills. Normally I used a single bladed freestyle-type wood paddle, but would bring along a two piece take-apart kayak paddle and put it behind me in case I encountered windy conditions or needed to paddle efficiently upstream.

This boat is a joy to paddle with a single bladed paddle for easy maneuverability, and good tracking. With a kayak paddle it helps make up for the lack of glide of a 12 foot boat. I think the Wee Lassie is a fine addition to any paddler's boathouse.

I also paddled and fished from a Wenonah Sandpiper. Better to fish from with more room and stability. I installed Wenonah's adjustable height/tilt seat and it really helped. I only gave the Wee Lassie an 8 because I didn't like the seat and seatback. It is hard, and the slats tend to hook on my life vest and also on my flyfishing vest. (I paddle with an open vest) Also, the adjustable footbrace wouldn't stay adjusted. I tried new larger adjustment knobs and eventually one stripped out (it had a cheap bond between plastic of knob and the embedded nut).

If you could fix the uncomfortable seat and seatback and put good knobs on the footbrace, I'd give it a 10. The seat is also fastened in the hull by two studs which are molded in the hull bottom and protrude upward about an inch. This prevents removing the seat to install a kneeling pad. I always wanted to try paddling from a kneeling position but didn't want to damage my pad. Why Wenonah didn't use molded in nuts and thumb-tightened bolts is a mystery, because it would make this versatile boat even more so.