Submitted: 06-03-2009 by Bill Burnett

Actions speak louder than words. That's always been my motto and I expect my equipment to do the same. But now I want to say a few words about the one equipment investment I made over a year ago that has turned out to be the best decision I have ever made to improve my paddling fitness. It's called the Vasa Kayak Ergometer, made in Vermont USA. Due to my life circumstances, i.e. busy schedule, winter freeze, etc, I decided to buy on based on a friend's recommendation.

When I first set it up and began paddling, I closed my eyes and it felt about as close to the resistance and feel of real paddling, minus the water splash sounds and the instability of a boat. I opened my eyes to view the electronic display, which really is a great power meter, and I got excited. Talk about motivational. Pretty soon, I was doing full on paddling workouts in my home, any time I wanted and in any kind of weather. Thanks to this incredible training tool, this spring paddling on the water I am stronger, faster and smoother than ever - all because I did not miss a single paddling workout from October until May.

Oh, and another thing - I got a chance to paddle on another kayak paddling machine - I think it was called stroke speed or something like that. I have to say it was good, but it does not come close to being as good my Vasa Kayak machine. Plus, I use mine to do a circuit of 10 exercises to strengthen my upper body and prevent shoulder injury, which gives more value to the device. The company offers a swimming option, so we are thinking of getting that for the kids, who just joined swim team.

If anyone out there is looking for a great training machine, I highly recommend the Vasa Kayak Ergometer.