Submitted: 06-01-2009 by DR

I'm 6'3" and 240lbs and still fairly new to the sport. I rented several of the other kayaks in the Ocean line and decided that the Scrambler would be an all around good choice although I had not tried it.

I'm sorry to say that I am very disappointed with the Scrambler. It is slower than I expected at a pace of 2.5-2.7mph. on flat water. There is no glide at all and a lot course corrections are necessary compared to larger boats like the Prowler. The worst by far though is that it is very unstable in even 1' foot chop in a following sea here on Lake Erie it feels like it may lurch and roll at anytime. Sitting in the water by itself it takes only a little pressure on the hull from a finger to make it roll. In larger waves 3-5' completely forget about it, it is like riding a greased bull.

The cockpit is long enough for me but it is very narrow in the hips and footwell and my butt is smaller than most! My leg falls asleep in 5min. and I have to dip it in the water constantly to help it out (even with the gray $85 dollar backrest). Did I mention that IT LEAKS! It arrived brand new, with a massive leak through one of the scupper holes into the hull (one gallon a minute.) I put a foam golf ball into the scupper and the leak slowed enough to allow me to discover that the Scrambler is:
-Slow
-Uncomfortable and unsteady for anyone larger than average.

By the way, Backcountry.com or Ocean Kayak are happy to send me another Scrambler to replace the defective one. Since I don't like it I'm asking for a refund or a different model and it seems that their customer service is cooperating well. I'm soured on the Scrambler, but not the store or the brand. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!