Submitted: 05-27-2009 by nthome

This is my first kayak. I did a lot of research before buying it, and I am very happy with my choice. I love sea kayaking, so originally I was looking at sea kayaks. But then I joined a local paddling club and some of the members pointed out that I live a lot closer to small lakes and rivers than to the Lake Michigan or Lake Superior, so I would have more opportunity to use a recreational kayak. I then switched my search to recreational kayaks in the 12 foot range, weighing under 45 pounds. (I am a 5'4" female, so I wanted to be able to lift it on and off my minivan by myself.) Also on my short list were the Wilderness Tsunami 120 (regular version weighs 50 lbs but duralite version only weighs 43 lbs), Perception Tribute (40 lbs), and Necky Manitou 13 (45 lbs).

I liked the Prijon for several reasons: This German designed and made kayak seems to emphasize design and performance over unnecessary bells and whistles (e.g. cupholders); it is thermoformed instead of rotomolded, which makes it the strongest plastic kayak in the industry - it will easily take Class II rapids; the cockpit is small enough to accommodate a spray skirt (but not as small as a sea kayak).

On the water, it tracks great. The hatch gets just a trace of water. The cockpit is very comfortable - good seat, good foot pegs, nice thigh braces. It has no bow flotation, so I added a bow flotation bag. It has no deck perimeter line, so I added that, too.

I'm still hoping to get a sea kayak in another couple of years, but the Capri Tour will allow me to paddle small lakes, rivers, and Class II rapids for years to come.