Submitted: 05-26-2009 by La Jolla Yaker

I got a Gemini Tandem about 4-5 years ago. Originally it was just going to be a hobby for my wife and I to paddle around the bays and oceans of San Diego, CA. Feelfree had just started selling these yaks in the US at the time and they were very well priced. Then I got into fishing and I was taking the thing out on a weekly basis. It was easily modifiable, that was a plus. I fished that thing so hard, I know that yak inside and out.

For starters it leaked like a sieve. Not only are the storage hatches in hard-to-get places, they let in lots & lots of water. The rear hatch actually sits under water most of the time. I wound up gluing them shut as so much water was coming in that it effected the handling of the craft after only a couple hours. It didn't matter, their position rendered them worthless anyway. The molded eyelets under the gunnel (where the rope runs), to my surprise had holes in them! Small holes, but they let in water none the less. This is clearly a manufacturing issue related to bubbles in the molding process. The gunnel ropes were a nice feature too. I took the ropes out and plugged the eylets with washers and screws and then caulked over them. This helped keep the boat at least dry enough to fish in the ocean for a few hours without adding several gallons of weight.

As far as tracking goes - it's reasonable, about as good as any other yak (I've fished Tarpons and Cobras to compare with). It's a decent/stable single as it is light weight (but excellent payload for it's class). In calm water it is a pretty stable tandem. In anything over 2-3 feet surf it becomes very unstable in comparison to other tandems. The rudder you can attach to the back is a must if you are going to tandem in rougher water.

All in all this yak gets the job done. It floats after all. It's a good yak if you're not too serious about your business. I must say it has taken me miles out into the Pacific and back every time. But if you asked me would I buy another one? Not on your life. There are too many other models out there today, in the same price range, that are made better and are more stable platforms for two people. Best thing I did was buy the Tarpon 130.