Submitted: 05-22-2009 by wirerat123

I've had a Pungo 120 for about 8 years now, and I have to say I've had it in just about any type of water you can imagine. I'll break it down for folks.
  1. Anything over class 2 rapids on a wide river, and well expect disappointment. This boat is not maneuverable enough for rapids. Anyone running rapids should buy the appropriate boat. If you bought one of these for fast moving water that requires lots of maneuverability or rapids that's your fault, you didn't do your research. That's not what this boat is for.
  2. Bigger water lakes ponds, and slow moving rivers. This boat excels; It tracks straight as an arrow, glides really well, and is surprisingly fast. For the money this boat cost me, I couldn't be happier. I cruise a lot with kayakers that use sea kayaks and touring Kayak, and well, I can keep up with them pretty darn well.
  3. Fishing, Well, yet another thing that this boat is great for. Yes the front deck is a little far away, but ample storage area on the floor in front of the seat and a large enough cockpit that I can easily reach anything in front of me nixes the issue with the large cockpit opening. I can do a couple of strokes with my paddle, and track dead straight for a long ways before paddling again, leaving me plenty of casts between paddle strokes. This is a terrific fishing boat.
  4. Camping, yep, camping. Me and my girlfriend both have 12ft Kayaks Mine a Pungo 120, and hers is a Victory Classic 12. We use them for 3 to 5 day camping trips. Both have plenty of storage in them for 5+ day camping trips, they track and glide well enough that you can relax and still get a lot of water covered in between strokes. We use them on larger slower moving rivers for our extended trips, and are more than pleased.
If you don't care for this boat, then most likely you didn't research the boat before you bought it. It is a rec boat that is capable of crossing the boundary between sea Kayak, touring Kayak, and rec boat.

I have these boats: Wilderness Systems Pungo 120, Victory Classic 120 (My girl uses this one), Wilderness systems Pungo 100, Pelican Potomac 100es (Loaner boat), Dagger "the green boat", Liquid Logic Jefe and a Cedar Strip 15ft touring boat I built.

90% of the time I am cruising the Pungo 120 If I am on an over-nighter with mild rapids and a lot of maneuverability needed I'm in my Dagger green boat. If I'm doing a day trip with heavy rapids I'm in the Liquid Logic Jefe. If I am doing anything else I'm in the Pungo. Even my cedar strip boat is neglected even though it's a superior boat in just about every way. Why? Why not, the Pungo does everything I need it to do better than I ever dreamed it to, and I don't have to worry about messing up something that took over a year to build. The Cedar strip boat is more of a boat I use to show off.

The Pungo 120 is easily one of the best rec boats I have ever cruised.