Submitted: 05-20-2009 by bjs

I've had my Marvel 10 for about a month now, and that time has confirmed that I made the right choice. This is a fine recreational kayak, made from rotomolded poly. I tried a half dozen other boats, including the Hurricane Santee Sport--which I wanted to be my favorite--and came back to the Marvel.

Some of the other boats, when compared to the Marvel 10, were nearly as good, but in two areas it absolutely came out ahead. The areas are related:
First, the seat is a modified beach chair. it has a aircraft aluminum frame, and it sits a bit higher up off the floor of the kayak than some, but its mesh material means you're never going to be sitting on a waterlogged seat. there's also plenty of back support.

Secondly, the seat is removable. It weighs 5.5 lbs, so if you want to lighten the boat to load it on the roof rack, the weight goes from 40 lbs to 34.5. It's a breeze to load. I'm 5'4" and I can even hoist it onto my Highlander from the side, as well as the back.

For a short boat, it tracks amazingly well. Last weekend on the lake I had no trouble keeping up with a Necky Eliza (which is FIVE feet longer) and another sea kayak. The Marvel is definitely not a bigtime touring boat, but its advantages as listed make it a fine choice for me.