Submitted: 05-20-2009 by Jason M.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
I bought this as my first kayak a couple of days ago. Got it at a steal... an independent store was having a 30% off sale, so I was able to pick it up for only $315. Of course, once I bought the paddle, vest, and the rack to carry it on top of my truck with, the final cost rose significantly. Today was the first day I've been able to take it out (on a somewhat small local lake), and I'm pretty happy so far.

After some initial wobbles, the Edge was fairly stable. I had a few instances that were enough to make me say "whoa", but not too many. I won't be setting any speed records, but it wasn't too bad, all things considered. Tracking was horrible, but I think that had more to do with my inexperience (only my second time in a kayak, the first was with the boy scouts 20+ yrs ago) and the fact that there were 15-20 MPH winds today. I know, I know, I should have waited for a calmer day, but I really wanted to get it on the water, if only for a few minutes.

I'm about 6'1", 230 pounds, and I fit in with no problems. The capacity of this boat (around 350 pounds) was one of the main reasons I bought it, as some friends & I do an annual overnight trip on the Toccoa River (class I & II up to light III's). Of course, that won't be until I've gotten some more water time under my belt. The other reason I chose the Edge was the reviews I read here. Thanks for the great resource!

I'll write back with deeper impressions after I get more time in it.