Submitted: 05-19-2009 by pknoerr
I own a Pakcanoe 140, and Laura needed a canoe for a Spring Break trip in Utah on the Class II-III San Juan River. The 140 was too big for her desires, so I set about trying to find an alternative. I suggested trying to paddle a Puffin as a canoe. I found a used one, and modified the seat system to better replicate a canoe seat, and added structural foam between the frame members and the skin. We checked both the Puffin and the 140 as baggage with no additional charges. The boats, paddles, and packs with 7 days of gear fit into a Dodge Neon for the trip from SLC to the river.

We assembled the boats, and Laura loaded a full pack in the stern, and 5 gallons of drinking water in the bow, and we headed off with our tripping friends for 8 days of paddling and hiking. Laura was able to run most of the rapids including Ross fully loaded in the Puffin II. Some water flushed into the cockpit on some of the bigger standing waves, but overall the Puffin performed much better than we expected.

It's light, can be transported as baggage, fits in a rental and can carry 7 days of gear on a Class II-III western river. That pretty much says it all.