Submitted: 05-19-2009 by ba

After reading some negative reviews, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but after trying this kayak out in the surf in south Texas I am very pleased. It handled very well and was easy to get in to at about waist high water with 2 foot swells. While on the kayak, I had no problem going through and over waves. The only problem I noticed was that it liked to turn back towards the ocean when I was going back in. This could have been due to the current or possibly bad tracking on the kayaks part.

I have read many reviews about it taking on water through the storage hatch... first off, I'm not sure why they made the storage hatch open when the lid is off, i.e. it goes throughout the kayak and isn't just two or three inches deep thereby making it possible to fill up with water and sink... however, after spending 45 minutes getting bombarded by waves that were coming over the hatch and hitting me, it only took in about a quart of water total.....all I did was tighten the straps down as tight as possible and made sure the hatch was covering the entire hole. A little foam insulation will cure the problem. Definitely not a reason to give this cheaper, yet promising kayak a bad rating by any means. I got it with an employee discount from my sporting goods store for 322 which is simply unbeatable.

Botetourt County Tourism: