Submitted: 05-15-2009 by siner74

I first tried my AF Convertible yesterday and my first impression is very good. Mind you, I have never paddled a kayak before, only canoes. The AF convertible is quite big, so carrying it around can be a bit difficult. When properly deflated it should not take to much storage space.

It takes quite a lot of effort to clean and dry out the kayak after being used. And taking it all apart, then reassemble can be cumbersome. Inflating the chambers does not take much effort.

The good stuff. It is very stable and tracks well on flat water. I tried fishing, casting and trolling for trout and it worked fine (only got one though). It did not seem slow to me and it handled wind and current better than I would think an inflatable would. Getting in an out was not to difficult, although I was surprised that the cockpit seemed a bit small when climbing in (I am a tall and big guy)

There is plenty of space in the kayak, when using it solo. I've not tried tandem configuration, but I am sure it will work fine (as long as you don't have to long legs).

Seating / backrest support could be improved, but I guess it is just a matter of getting used to it. I recommend using the deck and optional spray skirt. If not, you will get quite wet after only an hour paddling.

If your kayak/boat needs to be stable and/or you don't have to much storage space - I believe the AF convertible is a good match.

NRS: