Submitted: 05-15-2009 by waterbird

This is one of the few PFDs that will truly work with a high-back seat like those found in many Old Town kayaks (the ExtraSport XtraComfort seat). Many PFDs claim to be for high backs, but they hit right at the top of the seat back, which is irritating, or they come just below it and you're constantly tugging them down. The foam portion of the Stohlquist Cruiser comfortably clears the seat back even in its highest position, with mesh below.

The Stohlquist Women's Cruiser is the only PFD I've ever owned (I've had several) that I could stand to wear for any length of time. This is mainly because it is cut low in the armpits for great freedom of movement. The women's cup shape really is comfortable. The foam is not bulky---it doesn't protrude out in front of you like many PFDs.

Adjustment is simple: you pull on two straps located on the front and they tighten up the whole PFD, with one additional waist adjustment.
The front zipper works very well. There is a patch on the back where you can attach a light.

I give this PFD an 8 instead of a 10 because I would like the pockets to be larger and I would like to have at least 2 D rings on the outside, not inside the pockets. There is only 1 D ring, inside a pocket.

Price is $90. That's steep, but I guess my life is worth $90. All previous life jackets were used as deck decorations. That could be why paddling.net has never published my photos---they set a bad safety example. Now I can paddle safely and in comfort!

Thunder Bay Tourism: