Submitted: 05-14-2009 by Denny

I bought a Santee 116 as my first kayak after reading comments on paddling.net and have no regrets. I have had it on the water three times and couldn't be happier with it.

My wife wants to get involved in kayaking so we went to a local lake and rented two Necky's. I thought paddling my Santee was much easier. Looks like I may be buying another one for my wife. I have a closed cockpit. Being 60 years old I am not as limber as I used to be, so getting in and out is a bit more difficult. The Necky's we rented were open cockpit. I think I might have been more comfortable with that. My wife's will be open cockpit so hopefully she will let me try it out.

After having it in the water 3 times I am getting a small amount of water in both the fore and aft lockers. I will keep an eye on that.

The pro's are transportability, ease of paddling (see no need for the optional rudder), pretty comfortable seat, Trilone appears to be rugged enough, and the looks.
The con's would be that the accessibility of the foot pedals is cumbersome, and possibly the hull to deck joining (were the water is likely to be getting in the lockers)although a bit of marine grade caulk will fix the problem once found.

All in all I am very satisfied with the Santee 116.