Submitted: 05-13-2009 by mark

Just picked up this boat last week, and took it out for the first time on Ayer's Lake in Barrington, NH... a little breezy out, and this boat tracked straight as an arrow. The skeg helps out a lot too. Very comfortable seating system as well.

I'm still somewhat of a kayaking rookie, having only been out in my bathtub of a rec boat for the last couple of years. What a difference it makes going from a rec boat to a true sea kayak. The initial stability on the Essence is pretty good. The secondary stability is where this boat shines. I don't think I could have capsized this thing if I tried. Well, OK, I was really hoping to not go over, as the water temperature here in NH is still pretty cold this time of year.

I'm giving it an 8, only because of my relative inexperience with kayaking. I'm sure with a little more time on the water, I'll be dancing with this thing, and will be changing my score to a 10. Also, if you live in the NH area, and are in the market for any type of kayak, you owe it to yourself to visit the Contoocook River Canoe and Kayak Co. in Concord. Happy Paddling!