Submitted: 03-06-1999 by Chris Elliott

I have a Kevlar Odyssey with a foam core. At first, trying it out on a lake around the corner with two adults and two (small) kids, it seemed a but unstable (and I'm used to whitewater boats), but once we put an additional 5 gallons of water for ballast it settled right down. The round bottom makes it fast, and it has great final stability, but unless it has enough weight in it, it can seem a bit tippy. So, use it as intended.

This boat loves weight and is very fast. With two adults, two kids, and all gear for 3 days the boat was as fast or faster than a 17' Mad River Explorer with only one paddler vs. two in the Explorer--my daughter was still nursing and I ended up providing most of the motor power for a good chunk of the three days.

On the second day we had to head almost directly upwind with 2-3' waves. With just a little quartering of the waves the boat handled the conditions perfectly, and, with a skin coat it only weighs 45lbs. Easy to portage, even with a pack. After several years I still love it.