Submitted: 05-08-2009 by Alan

I bought this boat to fish the slow rivers. I own a QCC 700 and a WS Alto. I have owned several other performance sea kayaks so I expected this boat to paddle like a boat dock but I really didn't care since my time in the boat would be drifting and fishing.

I took it to the lake to try it out and I set my expectations very low so I wouldn't be disappointed. Boy was I surprised. It paddled like a kayak. It was fast enough to go somewhere, tracked straight and turned quick when needed. I couldn't believe it. So I ran a few more tests. The first thing I did was stand up. I even stood on one foot. The water came up high on the side of the boat but did not come in. How could this be? So I pulled into the shore, called my dog and she jumped right in. She jumped from one side to the other. No worries. This thing won't turn over. The only thing I didn't get a chance to try was how it reacted to strong winds and waves. I suspect it will blow around a bit but who cares. That is not what it is meant for. It is a rec boat and a fishing boat. I quickly outfitted mine with rod holders, anchor system, some cleats and a few more custom mods. I can't wait to get it on the river.

If I had to state a few negatives it may be that the plastic seems a little soft. My other plastic boats seems to have a harder plastic compound. I don't know enough about plastics to say if this is true but it seems to scratch easier than my others. I am also a little worried about the foot pads. They seem like they might break. If they do I will build some stronger ones.

I would recommend this boat for any recreational paddler that has no intentions of serious sea kayaking. I did not get a rudder or skeg and see no reason for it. For fishing it is a no-brainer. Buy the thing. You will love it if you use it for what it was designed to do.