Submitted: 04-17-2009 by qascat

As nothing is perfect THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN EVER GET A 10 from me.
I have been paddling for many years and have tried many styles of kayaks. The Approach yes is a tank but if you know how to paddle keeping the nose from diving is quite easy. It is very stable and takes a very stupid user mistake to roll it I personally have had mine at an 80* to 90* pitch and been able to recover it. You can try and blame the boat for many things but in the end it is the user that is at fault.

This is not a racing kayak so thinking you can go 8 to 10 knots in it - good luck - and if that if what you are wanting this is definitely the wrong boat for you. This boat is great for teaching the novice but yet performs well enough to keep an experienced paddler like me happy. I have had the boat on class 2 and 3 rapids and even tried some mild class 4 it does like to dive a bit but if you learn how to read the rapids and learn from your mistakes this problem is easy to overcome.

I purchased the Approach spray skirt and find it to be amazing, after rolling the kayak 20 or 30 times I found maybe a pint of water in the cockpit with me. This boat is a tank to roll and recover, but once you can roll and recover it you can do it in any boat. I give the skirt a 9 and that is very rare for me.

As for the trackability of the boat with or without the skeg I find the boat tracks like a dream. For those that are having this problem in the many reviews on this boat I have read, my suggestion is take some paddling lessons.

The one thing I will agree with and one of the reasons for the 7 in my rating is the seat. The seat becomes very uncomfortable on long paddles but then this is a crossover you can not have everything. I have made major modifications to the seat and if I could have bought the boat the way I have it set up now I would have no problem giving this boat an 8.5 as a 9 is as close to perfect you are going to get from me.

The other complaint I see in many of the reviews is about the foot pegs - I agree there also. This is also part of the reason for the 7 but yet again it is easy to fix as you can easily change out the pegs.

Dagger has a winner in this boat from the novice like my wife to the experienced paddler like me its a great all around kayak. Outside the seat any modifications I found fairly easy. and like any sport you get what you pay for and the Approach is well worth the the $680 I paid for it then the extra $100 for the spray skirt made custom just for the Approach.
Ok I am off to the river for a nice little class 2 and 3 fun.