Submitted: 04-15-2009 by dregsfan

The 16'6" Magellan was my first sea kayak after owning two rec boats. This kayak would make an excellent first boat. It is plenty fast and stable. Tracks straight and true. Glides over the water rather than plowing through it. I was able to lap the small lake by my house twice, when I normally could do it only once in my 11 foot rec boat.

The rudder is only needed in windy conditions, but is very convenient and easy to use. It is much more effective than a skeg. Ergonomics are just fine. If you desire a little softer seat, it is easy to place a gel pad or as much foam as you want under the standard cushion. Foot pegs/rudder pedals work fine and should be able to handle anybody from 5 to 6 feet tall. My boat has the soft neoprene inner hatch covers with hard outer covers. This is a very nice and dry set-up, once you get the hang of popping on the soft covers. They are superior over the cheaper Dagger rubber covers. Storage room in this boat is unbelievable. The hard plastic bulkheads take up much less room than the foam versions.

The Magellan is built to take a lot of abuse. That is why they were so popular with rental fleets. All in all, a great boat and highly recommended.