Submitted: 04-13-2009 by samfatboy

I bought my Esprit (Pursuit) 100 last summer after getting the hook for kayaking by borrowing my daughter's Old Towne Dirigio. Sure the Esprit is not the boat the Old Town is, but at 1/3 the price, it is more than 1/2 the yak.

I am primarily interested in fishing and have outfitted my Esprit with two rod holders and a fish finder. I have fished primarily on reservoirs and slow rivers, but have been out in some significant winds and chop and have always felt plenty confident.

For the price, this kayak has had a great return on investment, I have caught hundreds of fish, and spent hundreds of hours on the water. I am 6' and weigh 200 lbs, and I am more comfortable in my kayak than in my sofa, but I guess that has a lot to do with where it gets me to.

The only down side is the effect it seems to have on my marriage. I haven't been able to convince my wife to try kayaking yet. Meanwhile the kayak calls to me every day, begging to go out on another lake.

If you find this kayak for less than $250.00, and are looking for an intro to kayaking, buy it.