Submitted: 04-13-2009 by Cormorant

This is not a performance kayak. It tracks pretty poorly despite channels on bottom and top; speed is quite low. Weathercocking is pretty severe as this boat sits pretty high unless heavily loaded.

So why the 7 rating you may ask? This boat is one of the least expensive and widely available ones on the market. You can experiment on anything with this boat from whitewater to flatwater and for me the most attractive aspect of this boat to me is its highly portable nature. It fits in the back of a minivan! Not on top, mind you, I mean inside the vehicle! My 10 foot Waldens greatly outperform the Swifty in nearly every aspect but are just big enough to be a lot less portable.

For the price, portability, and versatility this beginner kayak gets a decent rating but don't expect it to excel in any way against other rec boats.