Submitted: 04-03-2009 by MikeBikePaddle

I've had my Currituck for about 6 years now. I'm 5'-8" and somewhere b/w 175 - 180lbs. The boat is a perfect fit for me. I would say I'm not far from the upper end size wise.

Good points:
Great hull design. This boat has great tracking, yet very maneuverable since it has a generous amount of rocker. I think the design, volume-wise, is a nice balance for someone doing mostly daytrips with some multi-day. It has low secondary which doesn't give you much of a solid edge but it is nice when you are in rough seas or taking waves to the beam. I've paddled in some high winds and big waves and the feel of the boat gives me confidence. Weather cocking isn't as pronounced as some boats I've paddled and is easy to counter with the skeg. If you're looking to do some surfing or want more solid edging you might be disappointed but otherwise it is a very nice design.

Bad points:
I replaced the back band somewhere b/w 2.5 - 3 years. The plated steel buckles completely rusted thru. My feeling is that a SEA-kayak ought to be built to survive in salt water. I replaced the nylon straps in the handles after the front strap broke about at about 6 months. I also had a leaky bulkhead and some small leaks around the hatch rings. I fixed with some UV resistant marine grade caulking. I whittled and sanded my skeg to be a tad more streamlined which was basically just a shape cut 1/4" sheet. Not the best surfing kayak. Tendency to broach a little more than some I've paddled.

My rating is an 8. Although I feel they cut a few corners in the mfg., the design is a good one and they do have excellent customer service and respond quickly to problems.