Submitted: 04-01-2009 by George W

The Temptation is boat number 9 in my plastic navy. Just when I thought I had every base covered I realized the need for a smaller boat - but also one that would be practical in that if so desired I would be able to keep it on the roof of my jeep - and have no fear of it filling up with water. This meant a SOT and I quickly narrowed my choice's down to 3: The Perception Torrent, and two boats by Emotion Kayaks - the Exhilirator and the Temptation.

My dealer told me about Emotion Kayaks recently, and maybe that struck a chord because after doing some on-line research the Torrent was eliminated next - but only due to my size: 6'7" and 295 lbs which seemed on paper to be too much for that particular boat. So I went and checked out the Exhilirator first at the dealer - since it was now my first choice. I sat in it and was ok with it - but when I sat in the Temptation - I knew that was going to be the one - because even with my large size - I still had room to spare - and that never happens.

I chose a day to test drive this new boat of mine when the Housatonic River was doing some un-natural things due to the un-even bottom and the way it passes through two bridges - one right after the other - between Shelton and Derby - which causes the river to flow not only down stream - but up stream at the same time. It is a sight to behold - if you catch it right - you can shoot down the river for maybe 100 feet - then carve real hard and get sent back up-stream. Plus the whirlpools add even more excitement...

Ok - I paddled out - then I realized I forgot to put the scupper plugs in - as the water is still quite cold this time of year. To my surprise - I had no idea how to install scupper plugs - they did not seem to go from top to bottom well - but on the other hand went from the bottom to the top quite well - so I went out with just the 2 seat plugs in - the hell with the rest - cause you're gonna get wet in a SOT anyway, right ?? Well I paddled against the strong current - with one of my 'not so good paddles' - don't know what I was thinking - but the boat made headway quite well. I finally made it to where the current was ripping good - and man this boat was a total blast. For a solid 30 min all I did was zoom back and forth with the currents - and at times cutting right into an opposing current - just to see what happens...

With my 14 foot boats - I've lost control more than once on this patch of river - but with the Temptation I felt that I was in complete control the whole time. I paddled back, and for the first time it occurred to me that a testimony would be in order - because this boat made me realize just how much fun kayaking is supposed to be - something as an environmentalist - I forget from time to time. I also found it to track very well - a bonus for such a small boat.

While the only faults I could find with the boat is the scupper plug install - and again, I have no idea how to do it anyway - one thing I did notice is when I had the boat left out in the rain - the inside compartment had some water in it - so it's important to use a dry bag in there or a sealed container.

All in all - I still feel justified in giving this boat a solid 10 out of 10 when it comes to rating it.

In fact, even though I split my waterproof pants getting out of it - as soon as my new pair arrives - I'll be out with this boat ASAP because it's that much fun and it's that comfortable - something I am not always used to experiencing when out kayaking. If you love smaller rivers and playing around when the water gets rough - this is the boat for you. I know I'll never leave home without it - unless of course I'm using one of my other boats...