Submitted: 04-01-2009 by MikeBikePaddle

I would say this is the nicest double I've paddled. Over the years I've rented various models. Most of them were rather "barge-like". The Passat feels very stable but yet more lively than most doubles.

We ordered ours at the end of Jan/09 and received in 2nd week of March. Our boat has some new features. Most notable the slider rudder control - very nice. I like this much better than the traditional rope pull setup. The seats are also bolt-in foam cushion on plastic seats as opposed to previous foam flotation seat.

We've only had the boat out 3 times but one of the times was in 20knot wind. It has a pronounced tendency to turn up wind but I was able to keep us on course with a little pressure on the rudder. Most boats have this same tendency. Tracking and turning have been primarily by rudder input at this point. My partner is somewhat inexperienced. Two experienced paddlers could probably paddle and maneuver without rudder in calm waters.

IMO few boats could live up to a 10 rating. I've been paddling now for about 6 years. Here's some of my thoughts about the boat:

Hatch system seems really good. Haven't rolled the boat over yet but front hatch was bone dry after taking a number of waves over the bow. I'm currently adding additional deck lines along my cockpit in the rear. I'm currently modifying the seats to add a tad more contour to make them more comfy. I love the pivoting rudder pedal system. I prefer that over the sliding pedal system. However if the pedals were slightly larger that would make them a bit more comfortable and easier to operate. Also if you're a person with large feet you might have an issue with space since the hull tapers down on the sides quite a bit for the aft paddler.

Overall a great boat that I'm really happy with. I'd recommend it.