Submitted: 03-27-2009 by SER

I purchased my 13' square stern Discovery new in 1999. It has seen considerable use over the years! Though it is a bit heavy (92lbs.), it is very stable. It has been a great fishing boat for the high mountain lakes of S.W. Colorado.

I can load this canoe on the car top of my '07 Pathfinder without help. An outrigger on the front load rail helps! The 15' model weighs about 20lbs. more and would make loading difficult by myself. It is slow to paddle, not bad to row! I have the old town power paddle that gets a lot of use!

This canoe is ideal to fish from with a small outboard! I had a 2hp Honda for years - it moved the boat well. I also have a sweet '58 Evinrude 3hp Ducktwin and the extra thrust over the Honda is noticeable. With the 15' Discovery you can use a 5hp outboard were the 13' has a max rating of 3hp. I am very happy with the performance of the smaller canoe and the ease of transporting it over the larger unit is a big plus. My boat cart makes it possible to launch in difficult to reach remote lakes. It is very well made and has held up great. If I had to replace it, I likely would make the same choice.