Submitted: 03-26-2009 by joeshoto

I have had my Hullraiser for two years. I have a 2003 Chevy Astro Van which is the same height as a full size van. I have a 55 Lb Old Town 138 and a Pungo 140. I am 6' and 53 years old. I am able to put these two heavy boats on the racks by myself.

The racks do not stay in place and will slide along the cross bars laterally with only medium pressure no matter much they are tightened. The tighten nut is on the bottom and very hard to get a grip on for tightening. The screw down plastic nut should be on the top making it easier to turn, but it is designed with it on the bottom for some reason. This problem is compounded as the rack should be positioned against the side factory rack so loading the boat is possible. So with the tightening nut on the bottom and the rack pulled far to the side, tightening is almost impossible. Therefore, it slides.

Also make sure that the straps are on the top of the rack before the boat goes up. Attach the straps on the top of rack, throw the strap across the top of the car opposite the side the boat is on before putting the boat on. Once the boat is on, toss the connected straps over the top of the boat and then connect to bottom part of rack. If you do not do this, you have to actually climb on top of the SUV to get the strap around the boat. The racks, straps,pads and ratchet rope device are great.

I think I am going to go to a hully roller/mako saddle combination for two reasons:
First on my Van the boat is like 11 feet in the air.
Secondly, it wobbles in the wind although the straps and ropes add stability.
Third, it may be easier to load boats without the Clean and jerk method I use now.
Fourthly, I don't trust the factory cross bars as I am going to start loading two boats on top.