Submitted: 06-22-2000 by Joel

When I tested the Necky Gannet I was pleasantly surprised. With the skeg up it turns well. With the skeg down it tracks straight. The roomy cockpit is a big plus for me. Access is easy from any angle and there is room to bend your knees to relieve cramps. The boat can handle being in rough water and is stable. It is the best all round boat I have tried and is small enough to easily transport. I did have to take off 2 points on the rating. There is an optional dry hatch, but the hatch is only 6". Too small for most items. The other deduction is more serious. It sinks! The built in floation is not enought to keep it afloat when filled with water.(models without the dry hatch) Additional flotation is needed. Dispite the two faults it is probably the best boat for the money that is usable for most purposes.