Submitted: 03-17-2009 by sk

Well I have now had the chance to put about 20 miles into this paddle and I am hooked on Greenland paddles and love this one. Here is my report from use.

I had read some of the complaints about various makes of carbon GP paddles making a scratching sound on a stroke (which I understand is due to bad stroke angle?)... Not being a proficient GP person I had also noticed this at times with my wood paddle, but this carbon GP seems to make less noise than my wood one... It seems very well dampened and even when I bump my boat it has a softer thud than I expected of carbon... I had read some reviews of carbons GP's making more of a high pitched ringing bump... This one is not really too much different than my wood paddle.

I had also read about slippery finishes, but I honestly have not had an issue with this one, of course I'm not rolling with mine, but I was kinda worried about it being overly slick... It is fine.

I will admit that I did put a few wraps of dental floss on the blade to serve as drip rings... The finish is so smooth the water quickly runs down the blade, faster than my wood GP... Not a deal breaker though..

I have done more in depth comparison of my wood GP edges and found that the carbons edges are more rounded than my wood paddle (maybe that helps reduce the scratching sound from my inept paddle style). I can also say I now see what people mean when they refer to the warmth of holding wood... There is a difference in the feel of wood vs. carbon and I can see where that comes from now, but I am making my carbon GP my primary paddle.