Submitted: 03-09-2009 by mr_canoehead
Just a quick review of a test-paddle, and a few points.
The hull has significant arch to it, and is really stiff. This gives the canoe a lively feel. Speed is excellent, for a prospector type design. Maneuverability is good too. Paddling stations were comfortable and construction was well done. I really liked this canoe.

On the negative side, it is longer and narrower than some prospectors, so I don't think it would run as dry through the huge waves (I bought a Slocan instead). It would be great for mixed water tripping, as the capacity is good, the speed is good, and the weight/toughness are perfect for portaging and whitewater mixed in equal proportions.

Please take the 8 and this review for what it is - an impression based on 30 minutes of test driving solo and with a couple partners. I wouldn't buy this one, just because I would rather own both the Slocan and the Scout. If you want one good tripper, though, consider this.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: