Submitted: 03-02-2009 by DJT

I bought my Kipawa in 2004 and I love it. I had read about the stability and to be honest the initial stability, or lack of stability, did throw me at first. However, it did not take long on the water to move past that feeling of instability.

Last fall I was on a five day trip with a friend who fell as we were breaking camp and severely dislocated his shoulder. So suddenly, I was paddling solo. The first lake we had to cross was approximately 5 miles long and into a moderate wind. I had no problems keeping it on line and we moved along quickly as the canoe easily glided across the water.
The last lake was another story; directly into a strong wind with at least 2 foot rollers and white caps. To be honest I was more than a little nervous as I had never paddled alone in conditions that bad. I have to tell you, my Kipawa handled unbelievably; stable, reasonably easy to keep it tracking properly and most importantly moving forward.

My buddy gives me a lot of credit for getting him out of there but the truth is my Kipawa made it possible. I know for sure I could never have done it with the old aluminum canoe we use to take on our trips.

I really liked this canoe before; now I have complete confidence that my Kipawa is a safe, stable and easy to handle canoe. Which is a good feeling as I look forward to future wilderness trips with my new grandson.