Submitted: 02-24-2009 by rdmcclary

Although the 11.5 was discontinued several years ago, they are still available used or new old stock, I'll add my review...
As most of my paddling has been poking around in marshes and swamps, it's nearly perfect for that. The cockpit is huge. I have room at my feet for a water bottle, camera, binoculars, gps, and a bit of food. There's room behind the seat for a fairly large dry bag with more food, clothing, etc. In fact, I never use the holds.

It is very stable - forget about eskimo rolls - and quite maneuverable. It needs the skeg down to track straight, but it turns pretty well with it down. Up, you can literally spin in place.

I'll keep this boat until some catastrophe puts an end to it. However, I'm looking for a second boat, in part due to its limitations: the skeg has a bad tendency to hang up, so one must turn way around and stretch to try to free it up or perhaps ask for help. the skeg is also either up or down - no easy adjustments.
it also does poorly in chop. dagger re-shaped the nose on later models so they cut through chop. mine either submarines chop or bounces about on it - neither are comfortable.

Because of these limitations, I'm looking at the new Dagger Alchemy or the Necky Manitou 14 to get a bit more speed and comfort in open water. Still, for exploring swamps and marshes, the 115 can't be beat!