Submitted: 02-18-2009 by jmwartman

the Penobscot 17 is a bomb proof boat that I would not hesitate to take anywhere. Sure it paddles like a log, but really for a royalex canoe, I feel that it is top in the class. It does everything good enough. Seriously a good boat.

my brother has a flotilla of high tech, Wenonah canoes, they are fantastic, usually. But there has been many times, on the lakes of the Quetico and Wabakami that I questioned the value of the Wenonahs straight ahead speed. With big waves on some of the large lakes, I questioned the design philosophy of these boats. Better put - I cursed these boats and their unforgiving nature.

I am now rehabbing a Peterborough canoe... a bit of rocker, a little more forgiving. I can't wait till this rotted old boat is finished. I will be traveling in style in a boat that was designed for these conditions. My new old canoe needs to take one last trip to Northern Ontario. It has earned it.

Pelican Intl.: