Submitted: 02-13-2009 by markh
Lumpy paddles are truly a pleasure to use. They glide through water in a way that feels completely natural and can easily handle a wide range of conditions. It took a couple hours of practice to develop a comfortable rhythm when I switched over from a European blade, but now I will probably never go back.

The paddle is gentler on my joints, makes going into the wind less of a struggle, and yet still allows me to keep up a 4 mph pace even when my boat is loaded down. I have used the paddle over 70 times in the past year including on a 9 day, 150 mile trip in the Inside Passage and could not be happier with it.

Billís customer service is also the best I have ever received from anyone. He really takes the time to find out what type of paddling you do and adjusts the measurements to make a blade that will fit your needs. You can tell that he is someone who loves kayaking and takes pride in his craftsmanship.

Since the paddles are made from wood, they do require some maintenance when they get dings and scratches, but a little bit of sanding and a quick coat of oil is all it takes in most cases.

For pure power and speed, a large faced European blade may be better, but if you want a nice paddle that wonít leave you sore and where youíll be eager to go the next morning I would highly recommend a Lumpy.