Submitted: 01-24-2009 by RGB

I have had 3 kayaks to date and was wanting to go further, faster and on rougher water. I am a taller paddler and hate kayaks with a low and small cockpit that leave me wedged in and unable to move my legs around for break. I did quite a lot of looking around and decided on the Touryak and have not been sorry. It is as described by Prijon a good all around boat that balances speed, stability and comfort in the balance I was looking for.

I have been on some rough water with very strong winds and it handles it with ease and at no time yet have I felt I have come near its limits. Long paddles are a pleasure with the seat. Speed is good and I have no trouble averaging up to 5mph in it. What I have found in this and my other kayaks is a big affect on speed is the paddle. I find with this kayak and my other ones an almost 20% increase in speed when using a carbon paddle compared to a fibreglass shaft paddles with a stiff good quality plastic blade.

If you want an all round kayak for comfort, stability and reasonable speed then I would highly recommend it. If you want to go faster then a longer skinnier kayak maybe the go but the compromise is that it will be heavier, probably less leg room and much less stable. If you tip or have to do Eskimo rolls that will slow you down as well.

One thing to watch is the keyhole hatch is not water tight but it is still good to keep things basically dry but use a dry bag for small things like phone and keys.