Submitted: 01-22-2009 by Laura N

This is my third review of Pelican's little Break kayak.
I am going slowly mad. Winter has hit the high country of Arizona, and all my local lakes are now suitable for ice skating, and not at all good for kayaking. So I tossed little "Pelikan" (his name) onto my car and headed for Havasu! Havasu is a large artificial lake on the AZ-CA border and at about one thousand feet MSL it is warm.

The day was about seventy Fahrenheit and with only slight breezes as I set out in my cheap short kayak with a very rare and costly (NOT!) Stearns "High Performance Four Piece Kayak Paddle" in my hands. For three and a half hours this happy threesome wandered about on Havasu. I crossed to touch California and then quickly returned home to Arizona - glad to live where I do. I toyed with sporadic boat wakes and sang a boat wakes song I made up to the old Barnes and Barnes "Fish Heads".

When later at home I took out my map I found that I had - in this eight foot piece of Tupperware - paddled at least ten to eleven miles! That is a speed of at least 2.8 MPH. The boat took the wakes well and ten miles is pretty okay for an old broad of indifferent health in the cheapest least sexy yak made.

I score this thing a thousand!