Submitted: 01-19-2009 by dregsfan

This is my first kayak. I bought it at a Sportsman's Warehouse 2008 closeout sale. The price seemed too good to be true, then I noticed that the seat was not centered in the boat. It was offset by 2-3". I pointed that out to the salesman and he knocked off a little more cash. Thinking I could fix it myself, I bought it. When I got it home, I noticed the holes for the seat mounts were about 1.5" lower on one side than the other. That shifted the whole seat over. No way to fix it, other than patching the old holes and drilling new ones. I called Old Town customer service. They said the boat was defective, to take it back to SW and they would replace it under warranty. I did so, but the SW salesman called their other store across town and they had another in stock. They checked the seat over the phone and it seemed OK. I picked up that one and the seat bracket holes are aligned perfectly.

I canít believe Old Town let that first boat pass quality control. Another SW salesman said that that was the second one heís seen like that. If this was a factory second, Old Town and SW should have labeled it as such. Old Town is now owned by Johnson Outdoors. They are a conglomerate who bought out many small sailboat manufacturers in the 1980-90ís (Sunfish, Vanguard, etc.). They have a reputation for "cheapening" the products to increase profit. Maybe this boat was just a fluke or maybe it wasnít. Just a word of warning to check EVERYTHING before handing over your cash.

Suspenz: