Submitted: 06-19-2000 by RJ

As a novice, having purchased a Scupper Pro TW just a few weeks ago, I am extremely satisfied with my choice. I have made most of the novice mistakes during this 3 week period, and the Scupper Pro has gotten me out of all of them, unscathed. An adventurous sort, I've put it through the paces, 6 ft seas, off-shore winds, rip and ebb tide currents, I've paddled with, against, and across them all, and haven't been thrown off yet. Diving off the Scupper is great (just wish the water were a little clearer). I don't know, there may be better yaks out there, but do you want to have fun with a yak that's at least capable in just about any element? It's a capable tourer due to it's length, speed, and packing ability, it's very stable off-shore, an adequate surfer, though it does tend to get a little sideways (I just ride it in a little sideways when it gets that way, but I think I will learn how to handle surf a little better with experience--it still hasn't thrown me off and carried me to shore), and is maneuverable enough for river work, and although there is a definite shortage of white-water here in Florida, I wouldn't be afraid to take it through some of the easier white-water sections I've experienced. What does it need? Well, a rudder would be handy I think, especially when paddling cross-wind or current. A good seat. I'm happy with the high-back, wrap around seat sold by Ocean Kayak. It's a little tight, even for my butt though, and I'm not very big, so try it before you buy it. Your butt will still get wet in the Scupper in choppy conditions. Stuffing the scupper holes with crazy noodles (or whatever they're called) would probably help in calm water, but where I hang out, it comes over the sides, the front, hits you in the face and buries you from behind, so I need the scuppers to get rid of what I've accumulated. A kayak is more like buying a pair of good shoes than buying a car, where you may be looking for features. If the shoe fits your needs, and potential, looks right, is affordable, and most importantly, fits, buy it. You won't be disappointed. Ergo the Scupper Pro. If it fits, buy it. You'll love it. All of my time on the Scupper Pro has been quality time, and I look forward to each and every outing.