Submitted: 01-06-2009 by canoekids

Love this canoe. I bought it used last spring. Mine is a 1977 ultra light kevlar. One of the sliding seats was missing in the stern. I added a caned seat in the stern and also moved the center gunnel back a little to add another seat in the center. Handles very well as a solo.

Also have a Wenonah Advantage Solo and prefer the longer and much more stable Saywer for solo paddling. I also tested this out on Lake Charlevoix with my homemade cover in heavy winds and 3-4 waves. Hard paddling for sure but handled amazingly well. Without flotation in the bow and stern the kevlar flexed in and tended to cut into the waves. On a second trip out I added a life vest stuffed in the bow and that did the trick. Bow rose up more when hitting the waves head on. Took them broad side without feeling like I was going in and had lots of fun surfing back to shore.

The canoe is light enough carry on my own and is really nice for car topping. If I run across another one, I'll have a hard time not picking up an extra one!