Submitted: 01-05-2009 by jupiter33458

I purchased my Explorer used about 6 months ago. It is my first kayak and I consider myself a beginner paddler. This boat is light and easy for me to load on top of my 4Runner by myself. At 5' 5 this was a main consideration for me when selecting a yak. This boat is very stable in the water. I've only unintentionally tipped it once on a fast, narrow river run. I think this was due mainly to my own inexperience more than the boat. It is very easy to right and re-enter.

My first outing I took it to a protected area and practiced tips and re-entries and was really pleased at how quickly I became comfortable with it. The boat tracks extremely well and has a decent speed to it. I have mine outfitted for fishing and look forward to getting into this aspect more.

The only drawback is the hull slap everything hears you coming in even a little chop. So it can be a bit disappointing trying to get close to birds and, doing most of my paddling in S. Florida rivers, I prefer that the gators stay on the banks where I can see them instead of sliding in the water where I have no idea where they are.

All in all I love my little boat and the fun that I have with it. I think this is a great first time, all purpose yak for the beginner.