Submitted: 12-30-2008 by Charlie

WE HAD BOUGHT the Klepper Aerius II (expedition) in 1997 when we were just married and before we had a home to live in. 40 years previously, I had paddled the same model with confidence the Bristol Channel and down the Rhone to the Mediterranean.

In our 60s and seventies now, we have paddled about 2000 miles on the Elbe, Danube and elsewhere. It's a fine boat and we have flown with it as "sports equipment" at very reasonable rates, with Airberlin.

I bought the full sailing kit but have not yet cruised with that. There is a simpler off-wind sailing rig that may serve us better. It's a fine thing to own... and fiddle with! Very much in the tradition of "Messing about with boats". The folding Klepper gives a good return on the initial high investment, unlike the small yacht we recently sold.