Submitted: 12-16-2008 by kuhnibert

I started with sea kayak marathon racing last year and was looking for a boat for a lighter paddler, as my weight is just 72 kg. I found the Nemo, and I am VERY happy with this boat. To start with, it is an excellent racing boat. I participated in seven-day race over 300 km, had no problems with my sitting position or the steering system, and scored third in the sea kayak class out of 23 competitors. The guys on first and second place were a top German marathon and race paddler and an L.A. Olympic participant. This boat is competitive!

Honestly, the Nemo would not be my first choice for a tour along the North Sea islands, as the material is too delicate and also precious for such rough conditions, but it is also a nice boat for fast weekend tours along rivers, as the storage compartments are big enough for a tent, sleeping bag and mat, and some clothes.

I would give the Nemo a 10, but one problem was the fact that the hatch rims fell off when I received it, so I had to re-glue them. Even though paddlers are used to customize new boats for their special purposes and preferences (I added - and warmly recommend this - a pullbar to the footrest), what is there should be firmly fixed. The builders should laminate the rims to the deck, or use screws to fix the rims. Sikaflex alone may not be enough.

Nevertheless, this boat is really hot stuff, a racer disguised as sea kayak, but without being tippy or unmaneuvrable, quite on the contrary: when I go out with a downriver boat and then turn back to the Nemo, I feel like I'm in Abrahams lap.

I REALLY recommend this boat to Women and lighter male paddlers who love fast paddling and races. It is one of the best designs on the market, be sure ...