Submitted: 12-11-2008 by Bullseye

I just bought a (new to me) 2007 Fiberglass Point 65 XP. I'll agree with the other reviews here. My initial concerns before paddling this boat were that it would be way tippy and that it wouldn't turn.

I am happy to report that it isn't that tippy at all. Comparable to a Looksha 4. The only time it feels tippy at all is when I am looking down fiddling with gear. Secondary stability is nice. As for turning, it is very responsive to edging and corrections... but is a bit slow to come around beyond 90 degrees. Everything is a trade-off and with the XP that trade is for speed. I love the speed. It catches and surfs swells and waves very easily. Once on a wave, it does not tend to broach nearly so quickly as most boats.

Construction is OK. Construction is very solid and strong. Fit and finish is a little rough. Exterior looks great, but taped seams on the interior get a little rough in the hard to reach ends. The weight is on the heavy end for FG, but not unreasonable. Hatches are bomber, but I did get a little leaking into my day-hatch. A little Marine Goo fixed that right away. It was leaking where the hatch ring is sealed to the FG deck. The seat and backband is very basic, but makes a good platform for attaching minicell foam for a custom fit. The skeg is smooth. I have never mounted the rudder, no real need for it anyway.

If you want to go fast from point A to B, this is a great boat.