Submitted: 12-08-2008 by RJB

My 2008 Folbot Cooper has exceeded my expectations in almost every way - and there are very, very few products I could say this about. It is a solid, well-made boat. I have had no serious problems whatsoever.

There is a minor issue with the foam surrounding the cockpit coming loose - and this will in turn make a spray skirt a bit awkward to attach. This problem is easily solved by replacing the drawstring surrounding the coaming with a bungee cord that you can pull really tight. Folbot has probably corrected this issue by now.

It is very fast, easy to paddle and responsive for a foldable, while retaining the good initial stability and excellent terminal stability folders are famous for. It sets up in 15 minutes (after a bit of practice). Very light - I can put it on a car roof with one hand. The boat in its bag is small and light enough to travel as regular baggage on a plane. If only I had this boat during my trip to Amsterdam two years ago! The cockpit is pretty big and the seat comfortable for my 5'9", 150lb body.

At this price (it goes on sale for about $1395) you are looking at plastic boats and entry level fiberglass kayaks - neither of which will fit in your bedroom closet like the Cooper. For me the Cooper wins hands down over anything in its price range. The Cooper received a very positive independent review in Sea Kayaker magazine a few months back.

Advanced Elements: