Submitted: 12-08-2008 by kybishop

We go to Holden Beach North Carolina every fall break. This typically falls early to mid October. We reside in central Kentucky and take the 12 hour trek east each year and enjoy the great weather we typically have each fall on the beach. This last trip I wanted to try a sit on top kayak in the surf and out in the ocean. I lucked into a Craigslist add while in Holden and found a Yak Board, paddle, two vests, plugs, seat and bilge all for $175.

I really enjoyed paddling this kayak. First time I have ever paddled in surf and it was easier than I thought going out. Coming in... well lets just say I need some more experience. It turned on a dime, very quick to respond to the paddle which was great in the large waves. It felt very stable and it did not take long to feel very comfortable out there. I am about 6' and 175 lbs.

It was not too difficult to keep going in a straight direction if needed. Small and easy to pack around. Plan to take it back next October and hopefully play some more. Will take it down some of the rivers and creeks here in central Kentucky too... soon as it warms a bit. I had no problems with leaks as mentioned by other Yak owners.