Submitted: 12-05-2008 by Bruce Allen

I found a used 2005 Santee Tandem ($380) that was in great shape. My first reaction was WOW, what a beautiful kayak. Even after three years of being stored on a community outdoor rack, the finish was beautiful (was shaded by kayaks all around it).

I've used a couple singles in the past so my knowledge is limited, but for a couple, this boat is great. I can paddle alone from the back for hours without getting tired (wife likes to chill in front and weighs about 120), and the boat tracks straight and true. The boat is super stable, we never felt threatened in some large lake white-water that blew up in the afternoon.

I can lift the yak onto the roof racks by myself (I'm 52 and in pretty good shape) so single trips are very doable. The one and only drawback is that the foot-rests for the back seat are somewhat cramped. The seats are good but I may upgrade to the newer seats from Hurricane, they're supposed to be much better. All in all, a really great tandem kayak.