Submitted: 12-01-2008 by mtitler

I have just bought an Ascente and am very happy with my purchase for a solid touring sea kayak. On the plus side it tracks beautifully, is fast through the water and the fittings (rudder, peddles, deck lines, hatches) all work very well.

The reason I gave this boat a 7 out of 10 is due to the high initial stability and therefore the difficulty to put the boat on edge. I would have preferred a rounder hull resulting in a higher secondary stability to make it easier to paddle in rough waters. Also the back support and high aft deck make rolling and hand rolling the boat difficult.

If you are looking for a good fast touring boat I have no qualms recommending the Ascente. To make it the ideal boat for me I would make it narrower, improve the back support to aid solo recovery and decrease the initial stability to make it handle rough water better.

NRS: