Submitted: 11-21-2008 by ccooklin

This is a great boat for stability. It tracks OK, but due to its width and short length, it does "fish" a lot. My 105 pound Labrador up front is great ballast. I tested it out all summer with him in it, no overturns, though there was a time I jumped out certain it would happen in class III rapids, and I kept the boat upright holding onto the side. Now, in duck hunting season, even though the dog has jumped out of this boat without uprighting me, I let some ducks go by. It was frightening enough in warm water, and I just don't want to risk it in the ice.

It's more stable than your usual canoe. I'm not going to shoot out of it with this dog, because I know he will knock himself out to get the bird, and maybe me as well. The tests in warm water were very encouraging, but not enough to risk death in cold weather conditions. Smaller dog or bigger boat for that!