Submitted: 11-21-2008 by techdirector
My first canoe was a Coleman. I have a bad habit with outdoor gear of buying then researching. I had mixed experience with the boat. Ram x is flexible which can be very discomforting at times. The inside keel tube does a great job of eating fishing tackle and other small items. It is nearly un-sinkable be cause ramex is buoyant. My boat was purchased in the mid 70s and I kept it nearly 20 years only because I could not afford to upgrade.

My boys were quite young, read small, then and were not heavy enough to keep the bow down if I was on the back seat. I nearly always had to paddle backwards on the front seat. It was symmetrical so that was no trouble. I did that till my Bow man weighed 100 lbs or so.

The flat bottom meant that we could hardly get away from side waves and leaning was out of the question. I have seen the newer versions. I am not impressed with their interior set ups. My boat is now with Boy Scouts in Iowa. I don't know how it held up but that plastic is very sensitive to UV deterioration.

I got my money's worth from that boat and it instilled a love for paddling in my 4 Children. I car topped it to Colorado several times and it liked mountain lakes, but not mountain streams. It was a good "learning experience" boat which trained the kids and me so that when we moved up to Old Town Discovery 12 years ago we didn't even know that they were supposed to feel tippy. We now have canoed from Illinois to Colorado, and into Canada and Minnesota. The Colman was an excellent starter boat and I am glad that we had it.