Submitted: 11-05-2008 by kocho
I bought this paddle sight unseen from Walmart on the advice of these nice review below. One thing that differentiates me from most of the other reviewers of this paddle is that I had taken the time to learn about proper paddle length and correct stroke technique. At the original length of 96" this paddle is ridiculously long for anyone who is less than 7 feet tall and will use it in any kayak that is less than 35" inches wide (a barge basically).

I am 6'4" and my kayak is 22" wide and by most measures I need a paddle that is about 220cm long. I will not go into details but that is not the overall length (blade to blade end) but the effective length of a hypothetical paddle of certain blade dimensions. For this particular paddle, to achieve an effective 220cm length the overall length has to be actually a little less and closer to 215cm. This is due to the fact that the blades are not thin and long but somewhat wide and short (average I'd say) and good for active paddling with medium height stroke (as opposed to very low angle stroke).

So, by removing some lengths from both ends and reattaching the blades back with the same type of rivet used originally, I shortened the paddle to have a shaft of the same length as my primary paddle - the 220cm Epic mid-wing paddle. The original paddle was 243cm overall length and it is now just over 215cm overall length (but the equivalent of a 220cm narrow-bladed paddle).

Overall, a nice recreational or spare touring kayak paddle. I never took mine in the water actually, as I stumbled across a very good deal on a second greenland paddle that I used instead of this one as spare.

I rate it at 10 because at this price ($25 before taxes at Wal Mart) you can't beat it. Compared to some of the $100 models the differences are apparent (mostly in the shaft and joint quality) but if you only use it occasionally and for recreational purposes it is just fine.