Submitted: 11-03-2008 by L.B.

I bought my Pelican Scanoe in 2005 at Academy, and I want to warn anyone thinking of buying this boat, it is apparently not manufactured as well as the old Coleman Scanoe used to be, though it closely resembles it. The shell is made of something called Ram-X, but the seats are made of some inferior plastic. Like BHT's seat in the previous post, my back seat broke at the gunwale connection, and the under-seat support collapsed. I weigh 180 lbs., sat on it carefully, and used a 1.75 hp Aquabug outboard motor. After documenting the problem and notifying Pelican, they sent me a new seat. Next year, the problem recurred. They sent me another seat. This year the seat broke again, and Pelican refused to replace the seat, even though the original problem occurred under warranty and had been documented with them. They stated they would no longer honor the warranty, but would sell me a replacement seat for $50.00. Apparently, they have a manufacturing problem with the seats that result in the seats constantly breaking, and Pelican is not going to help you after the first or second one. Though an otherwise decent boat, I would not recommend the Pelican Bayou 160 for anyone who did not want to replace seats every year. If you can find an older Coleman version of this boat, you might be happy with it.